Residential fires aren’t something that happens occasionally in Minnesota; they’re an everyday occurrence. Most are preventable in one way or another, either through checks and inspections, the installation of warning devices, the use of sprinkler systems, or responsible training. Waseca is not immune to the risks of fire and smoke disasters. When fire does strike in Waseca, residents should know that their best option for fire damage repair and restoration is ServiceMaster of Mankato and Waseca.
The reports that residential fires are the most deadly in the state. People feel safest in their homes, but that can also give them a false sense of security. The fire marshal says that 76% of all structural fires are residential fires and 97% of all fire deaths occur in residential structures. The top cause of home fires (making up nearly 50%) is cooking. People or pets knock things onto open burners. Grease spills catch fire, causing curtains to flare up and spread flames to the rest of a kitchen.
The Minnesota Public Safety Department offers these tips to prevent residential fires:
- Keep your stovetop clean and free of grease.
- Don’t leave the room when cooking.
- Keep flammable cleaning solutions and any flammable items away from heat sources.
- Don’t use a stovetop to heat a room.
- Keep a proper fire extinguisher charged and on hand in the kitchen.
- Never use water on a grease fire. Put it out by covering the pan with a lid.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are in good working order and there’s one in each room.
- Plan an escape route from your kitchen before anything happens.
- Avoid using candles or any other open flame.
If you do experience a fire disaster, remember that ServiceMaster of Mankato and Waseca offers professional fire damage restoration, a service that would clean the entire structure and all the contents and restore the furnishings. We’ll also repair any smoke damage and perform complete deodorization, odor control, and ozone treatment. We’ll respond quickly after the fire is out to close any openings with tarps or board–up holes in your walls, window openings, or roof. We are your best option for fire damage services in Waseca, Illinois and the surrounding communities.