There’s a classic old torch song called “When Smoke Gets in Your Eyes” and when it’s your home that is torched or scorched, the smoke gets everywhere, and it stays there until it’s removed. In fact, according to the National Association of Realtors, smoke damage becomes worse over time, decreasing the value of your home and increasing the cost of repair. ServiceMaster of Mankato and Waseca is on call to help remove any odors in your home, but especially the tough ones caused by fire. Acting promptly is important to save your property and save you money in the long run.
Why is smoke damage such a problem?
Smoke goes everywhere. It seeps behind cupboards, into refrigerators, through your clothes closets, and into dressers. It gets behind your walls, into your ceilings, and throughout your duct system. Those are all areas that you don’t immediately see, but if they’re not thoroughly cleaned, you’ll be smelling smoke for months or years.
That answers the question as to why you can’t “DIY” your smoke odors away. You need someone with the techniques and means to access all those impossible-to-reach places. Plus, smoke can be greasy and smeary due to chemical reactions in the fire or the materials that burned. That requires a special approach to remove or neutralize the residue.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has some tips on cleaning up your interiors after a fire:
- Clean, disinfect, and deodorize all carpets and area rugs
- Clean and disinfect all cabinets and surfaces in every room
- Wash or dry-clean all clothing, bedding, and towels in the house
- Clean all upholstery and drapery
- Wash and clean every dish, glass, pot, and household item, including collectables, vases, art objects, and musical instruments
- Professionally clean all HVAC ducting and equipment, and change filters monthly for the next year
- Power wash decking, windows, and walks so particles aren’t tracked or blown in from outside
It sounds like a lot, and it is. We can make it simple for you. Call ServiceMaster for the best and most comprehensive smoke and odor removal service in Mankato, Waseca, Blue Earth, and surrounding communities.