Fire Damage Restoration Services by ServiceMaster in Mankato

Mankato, like many other communities, has its share of residential and industrial fires. Both can be devastating and fire departments spend an increasing amount of effort on prevention in their respective communities. According to the Minnesota Fire Marshal, $400 dollars is lost every minute due to a fire in the state. And a fire call comes in every 90 minutes. The Mankato Fire Department responded to 127 fires in 2014 alone. It’s no surprise that fire disaster restoration is a frequent need in Mankato and the surrounding area. We hope it doesn’t happen to you, but if you experience a blaze in your home or business, ServiceMaster of Mankato and Waseca is your best option for fire damage repair and restoration.

Prevention, especially in a residential setting, is very important since most fires can be avoided or at least limited in the amount of damage they cause. Take the simple precaution of installing and maintaining fire and smoke alarms. The Fire Marshall says that properly operating alarms are effective in Minnesota at least 80 percent of the time, meaning that occupants are alerted and can safely leave a dwelling. Those are pretty good odds for your family, so it’s in everyone’s best interest to ensure your alarms—whether battery operated or circuit linked—are in good running order. You should have one in essentially every room, as many people are sound sleepers and the risk of smoke accumulating in enclosed areas is fairly high. Smoke and toxic fumes kill more people nationally than flames.

In Minnesota, the cause of the most structural fires is not wiring, fireplaces, space heaters, or furnaces—it’s cooking. Whether it’s a grease fire flaring up to catch curtains and woodwork, burners or an oven left on, or a cooking pot neglected, kitchen fires make up 43% of all fires in homes and businesses combined. In nearly all cases, the fire could have been prevented through proper precautions. Here are some tips from the Minnesota Safety Council:

  • Don’t leave any type of cooking situation unattended. That means don’t walk out of the room when a burner is on and don’t leave your barbeque when you’re grilling on the deck or in the yard.
  • Make sure you have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Keep it charged and within easy reach. Check to see that it’s appropriate for grease and kitchen fires.
  • Don’t try to put out a grease fire with water. It will only spread the flames. Use a lid to cover a burning pot to remove oxygen.

If the worst does happen, remember that ServiceMaster of Mankato and Waseca will provide the best in fire damage restoration for your home or business.

NEED HELP IN A HURRY?

For emergency service, call 1-800-596-0063 or submit a service request.

EXPERT GUIDANCE

NEWS

Keeping a Healthy Work Environment with Commercial Cleaning