Avoid Electrical Fire Damage in Mankato and Waseca, MN

The smell and smoke caused by melted wiring insulation can be one of the most annoying aspects of an electrical fire. If that wiring is inside of a wall, it can be even more of a problem as it has to be reached and removed in order to get rid of the odor. While our technicians at ServiceMaster of Mankato and Waseca are experts at fire damage restoration, the best option is to prevent the fire and the fire damage in the first place.

The National Fire Protection Association says nearly 300 people die and over 800 are injured annually in residential electrical fires. Electrical fires in the home can have a wide range of causes, but many of them can be prevented through proper maintenance and safety checks. If you’ve expanded your electrical use or added new or larger appliances, it’s probably a good idea to make sure your circuits can carry the load. Extra voltage on wires, electrical boxes, or even lights, can cause overheating and fires, even if the wiring is new. Following a few basic tips may help prevent a fire in your home:

  • Get rid of any old or frayed electrical or extension cords
  • Don’t run cords under your carpet
  • Examine wall outlets for any type of damage or odor
  • Have an electrician check your breaker box and electrical connections
  • Don’t overload outlets
  • Use power strips sparingly
  • Reassess your circuits before adding any major appliances
  • Have your heating and air conditioning system checked annually
  • Make sure your dryer venting to the outside is clear and clean
  • Clean your dryer’s lint filter before each use
  • Don’t overfill your dryer or washer
  • Make sure your circuits can handle power tools where ever you use them, and guard against sparks

Another good precaution is to have an adequate number of fire extinguishers that work on electrical fires and ensure they are fully charged. They should be on every floor and near any major sources of heat or electricity. If you have an electrical fire, try to turn off the electric power where it enters the building as soon as possible, and have an electrician check everything after the fire is out. After you call your insurance agent, call ServiceMaster of Mankato and Waseca for the most efficient and professional fire damage restoration in the area.

NEED HELP IN A HURRY?

For emergency service, call 1-800-596-0063 or submit a service request.

EXPERT GUIDANCE

NEWS

Preserving Mankato, MN, Family History with Expert Furniture Restoration Services