Sometimes small problems can become larger ones. Oftentimes, those problems could’ve been avoided had they been addressed right away. If you ignore them, those problems become so large you have no choice but to deal with them.
Today, we’re going to share some strategies to keep small problems from leading to large water damage catastrophes.
Leaks, when dealt with appropriately, are usually nothing more than a minor nuisance. If you discover leaks at your Mankato, MN business, address them right away.
To correct a leak, you need to spot it. To spot it, you need to know the common areas and signs where leaks might be occurring, such as:
- Pipe joints or P-traps underneath sinks
- Around appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines, and water heaters
- Supply lines to appliances
- Supply line connections
- Damaged toilet tank flappers
- Drains producing foul odors, indicating a sewer leak
- Warped and discolored flooring
- Stained walls and ceilings below bathrooms
If you notice signs of leaks, you must decide whether it’s a simple repair you can fix or one you should work with a professional to address. There are also areas where you can shut off the water supply prior to a professional arriving to mitigate more damage and avoid a water damage catastrophe. These include:
- Washing machines
If you discover what appears to be significant water damage, especially the type that leads to mold growth, please contact us immediately and we’ll be on the scene within a short few hours to mitigate the damage.
While you wait for us to arrive you can attempt to mop up and remove excess water from your Mankato, MN business (if it appears safe). You can also take photos to document any severe damage for your insurer to take note of.
From minor water damage nuisances to water damage catastrophes, the first and foremost important step will always be the same – pick up the phone and dial (507) 388-6339 and let us handle your issue immediately.
It’s important to be an informed consumer, especially if you’re a homeowner. You want to make sure you’re prepared for any and every situation. Today, we’re going to share some information you need to know about water damage restoration to help you make the best decisions in both the present and the future.
- Location – Water damage often occurs in areas of your home you inhabit the least, such as attics and basements, where it can lead to undetected mold growth. It’s important to routinely check these areas and contact a damage restoration professional if you notice any signs or irregularities
- Season – Water damage occurs in different ways that are often dependent on the weather. During winter months it can be caused by burst pipes and ice dams. During this time of year clogged rain gutters and poor water-routing systems in your home can lead to buildup and subsequent damage when heavy rainfall occurs.
- Prevention – There are certain measures you can take to avoid the need for damage restoration in the first place such as cleaning your rain gutters, having your pipes checked regularly (at least once per year), taking time to check all areas of your home that are susceptible to water damage, and even giving us a call just to check on potential causes.
- Insurance – It’s important to know which types of water damage is covered by your insurer and how you’ll work with your insurer in the event you need professional restoration. If restoration is necessary, make sure to document the damage as quickly and thoroughly as possible.
- Time – The moment you suspect you’re having water damage issues is the moment you should contact the professionals at ServiceMaster of Mankato. Each minute counts when it comes to mitigating damage.
At ServiceMaster of Mankato, we strive to give you the best information when it comes to both preventing and handling water damage. Your home is your prized possession and we’ve dedicated our business to keeping homes in the Mankato, MN area safe for years. Contact us today for immediate help!